5421 Steilacoom Blvd
Lakewood, Pierce County, Washington 98464
The Home of Peace Cemetery is private property and has posted No Trespassing signs. The gates are open from dawn until dusk. The cemetery is closed on Saturdays. In keeping with Jewish tradition, pebbles are placed on the headstone by friends and relatives visiting the grave.
The Home of Peace Cemetery Association was formed in 1888 as the First Hebrew Benevolent Society of Tacoma, and incorporated in 1891. (The earliest burial, dating to 1886, was re-buried from the Jewish cemetery in Tumwater.) Home of Peace continues as a Jewish burial society. Membership is open to all who support the Jewish faith. The upkeep of this cemetery is paid for by the association dues, donations, and other investments.
Land for the Chevra Kadisha Cemetery was purchased in 1914, on the corner of Lakewood Drive and Steilacoom Boulevard. The association was incorporated in 1930 and had 26 burials by 1978. It was absorbed into Home of Peace in 1979.
In 1999 Tacoma’s Jewish community supported placing monuments on over 70 graves that had been previously unmarked. They were dedicated in the fall of 2000. Find A Grave volunteers fully photographed and documented this cemetery as of September 2012. An update in the fall of 2020 included linking family members and spouses.
©2022 Civil War Veterans Buried In Washington State • All Rights Reserved.