SW 256th St. & 75th Ave SW
Docton, Maury Island County, Washington
Also know as Penbrock & Old Vashon Cemetery.
The Maury Island Cemetery is located at the southeast corner of SW 256th Street and 75th Avenue SW, on top of a hill near the entrance to the Gold Beach area of Maury Island. The cemetery has also been known as the Old Vashon Island Cemetery.
The cemetery was established in 1887 when Abraham Dawson donated two acres of land. The cemetery was not officially recorded until December 19, 1908. The Maury Cemetery Association Articles of Incorporation were filed with Albert Neilson as president, Thomas L. Rendall Jr. as vice-president, James M. Ogilvy as secretary, Thomas G. Ogilvy as treasurer, and Albert Neilson, A. D. Kingsbury and Thomas G. Ogilvy as the Board of Trustees.
The present cemetery includes 1.58 acres according to county records. Part of the original land was taken for a road.
The Maury Island Cemetery was made part of the King County Cemetery District #1, allowing the commission to maintain the site. The mailing address is: King County Cemetery District No. 1, P.O. Box 1526, Vashon, WA 98070.
©2022 Civil War Veterans Buried In Washington State • All Rights Reserved.