South Graham Street
Seattle King Co., Washington
The Comet Lodge Graveyard on Beacon Hill in Seattle, Washington is situated just east of Interstate 5 on the hill's western slope, on South Graham Street between 21st and 23rd Avenues South.
This Cemetery was established in 1881 and was about 5 acres containing about 500 pioneers of the area along with unknown numbers of native Duwamish people. It was closed in 1930s and a city grew on top of its dwellers. Ownership between the city, civic groups and relatives was finally given to the City. Only 20 headstones rest among its occupants.
This cemetery was dedicated in 1895 as the Comet Lodge IOOF Cemetery (Independent Order of Odd Fellows). It has been called the South Seattle IOOF Cemetery, the Graham S. St. Cemetery, and the South Beacon Hill Cemetery, and it is now known as the Georgetown IOOF Cemetery. The Comet IOOF Lodge in Georgetown has been gone for many years and the cemetery has been abandon, bulldozed, vandalized, tomb stones broken, cleaned up
and restored. At one time there were about 200 people in the cemetery. The records are lost and what is listed here are all that remain.
At one time the city of Seattle was thinking of attaching this cemetery for non-payment taxes which they can't do, then condemning the land and making it into a park. The cemetery is about two acres and now overlooks the north end of Boeing Field and the King County Airport with Georgetown to the north.
©2020 Civil War Veterans Buried In Washington State • All Rights Reserved.