5977 Northwest Dr.
Ferndale, Whatcom Co., Washington 98248
According to the EARLY HISTORY OF FERNDALE AND TEN MILE TOWNSHIPS published in 1948 and written by Chris C. SIEGEL, p43: "About 1886, John D. ROGERS, John HAGLER, Chas. W. MATTHEWS, Jacob JENNI Sr., William BAER and others organized the Woodlawn Cemetery Association. Mr. Jenni donated 5 acres of land and he was the first to be buried in it ... It was taken over by Ferndale Township many years ago, which insures its perpetuation...’
This cemetery is now included in Whatcom County Cemetery District No. 6 and consists of 7.46 acres.
These records have been extensively supplemented by information from other sources, as the original records generally give only name and date of death. Early mortuary records in the Moles Funeral Home of Ferndale list the following burials in "Paradise Cemetery".
There is a newspaper article in the July 24th 1903 issue of Ferndale concerning a Paradise Cemetery, but gives no indication of its location. No one can be located who know of a cemetery by that name. Paradise School was across the road from the present Woodlawn Cemetery and Paradise Church is 11/2 miles north of Woodlawn Cemetery. Paradise was probably an early name for Woodlawn, particularly in view of the fact that there was another Woodlawn Cemetery.
©2020 Civil War Veterans Buried In Washington State • All Rights Reserved.