Civil War Veterans Buried In Washington State - Johnson Winscott

Johnson T. Winscott

Representing: Union
G.A.R. Post: John Buford Post #89 Everett, WA

Unit History

  • 49th Missouri Infantry B

See full unit history

Johnson Winscott
Full Unit History

Organized: 8&9/64 Warrenton, Mexico, Macon, & St. Louis, MO
Mustered Out: 12/20/65

Regimental History


  On 1/1/65 companies of this one year western theater regiment were scattered throughout several counties in north Missouri, principally along the line of the Northern Missouri Railroad. The following month the 49th was ordered to New Orleans, LA.

  In March they embarked on steamers for Daulphin Island at the entrance to Mobile Bay where they joined other federal forces massing in front of enemy-held Spanish Fort. After the fall of that fort and Ft. Blakely, the regiment marched to Montgomery where it remained until 7/14 when co.s A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and I were ordered to St. Louis, MO because their terms of enlistment had expired.

  Those companies were mustered out at Benton Barracks. Companies H and K remained in service until the end of the year.

  Total regimental losses: 4 enlisted men killed or mortally wounded, 96 died of disease, accidents

Soldier History

Residence: Info. Not Avail.   Age: 15 yrs. (est.)
Enlisted/Enrolled: 8/26/64   Rank: Pvt.
Mustered In: Date Not Avail, Warrenton, VA
Mustered Out: 8/2/65 St. Louis, MO
Highest Rank: Pvt.

Family History


   Johnson T. Winscott was born in Keokuk, Iowa.  Although his military records from the 49th Missouri indicate he was aged 17 at enlistment and therefore born circa 1847, his age as reflected in pension records place his year of birth as 1850.  No information is available pertaining to his parentage or childhood years.  However, if statements made in pension files are to be believed, Johnson, then living in Illinois, tried to enlist in the U.S. Army at twelve years of age.

   While available information is vague and often contradictory, according to Johnson his first enlistment was in the spring of 1861.  Although he indicated he was not assigned to a regiment he may have attempted to join the 12th IL Infantry but when he arrived at the muster office in St. Louis, MO the mustering officer refused to admit him because of his age and provided transportation for him to return to Illinois.

   Again, in the summer of 1863 he attempted to enlist in the 119th IL Infantry but was once more turned away when he reported to Jefferson Barracks in St. Louis.  Finally, in the summer of 1864 the 5’5” “rail hand” was admitted to the 49th Missouri.  Having finally entered the military his time of service proved benign with the only notation on his records being a period of detached service (12/31/64).

Still, in 1891 he would apply for and later receive a U.S. Government invalid pension based on his being unable to earn a living as a carpenter because of ailments which traced back to his Civil War soldiering.  At death his stipend was $10 per month.

   The next available information on Johnson is, again vague.  It appears that on 7/27/71 in Hannibal, MO, he married Suymantha Dicey Trussell (b. unk.).  For a time the two remained in Missouri, then removed to Dubuque, IA where Suymantha “died in confinement.” 

   On 9/1/73, back in Hannibal, MO Johnson remarried to a Mrs. Elizabeth Allen.  The second Mrs. Allegedly died in childbirth. Years later, after Johnson’s death when his then-wife applied to continue to receive all or a portion of his pension, the pension office wanted to make sure her marriage to Johnson was legitimate.  However despite an exhaustive search, no record could be located pertaining to Elizabeth.  Further, burial sites for neither Suymantha nor Elizabeth could be found.  As such, that Mrs. Wisncott was declared legally married.

  On 5/7/75, in St. Joseph, MO Johnson married for a third time to Mary A. Cook (b. ca. 1856. Note: One pension entry lists her maiden name as Koeber.)  The couple reportedly produced two children although the name of only one- Raleigh A. (b. 3/5/95) is documented. By 1891 the Winscotts had left Missouri and moved to the community of Kent in King Co., WA.

   Why they came west is not documented.  Also not known is why they settled in Kent.  However, that was not to be their permanent home as by 1895 they were residing in Everett.  By 1895 Johnson’s health was markedly failing.  Although only approximately 47 years of age he was unable to work because of a laundry list of ills which included kidney trouble, eyesight problems rheumatism, an enlarged prostate, lumbago, heart trouble and catarrh (infection) of the stomach.  His mental faculties also began to fail and in October, 1899 he was declared insane.

   Johnson T. Winscott died 11/27/99.  Cause of death was noted as “kidney disease” and “softening of the brain.” At death Johnson was 49 years of age. 

   With Johnson’s passing, 44 year old Mary, mother of a 4 ½ year old child, found herself destitute.  In applications to keep her late husband’s pension funds flowing she claimed to have no estate except “one cow.”  She did not even own the land on which her “shack” sat and could only earn money by taking in washing or doing housework.  Pension payments continued for both she and Raleigh.  Mary's payments ceased when, in 1904 she remarried to William A. Gibson.  Raleigh’s continued into 1911 when he reached his 16th birthday. 


Buried at Evergreen Cemetery
Row: 6
Site: 64

Adopt-a-Vet Sponsor

©2016 Civil War Veterans Buried In Washington State • All Rights Reserved.