Civil War Veterans Buried In Washington State - Jonathan Lupton

Jonathan R. Lupton

Representing: Union

G.A.R Post

  • Lucius Day Post #123 Monroe, Snohomish Co. WA

Unit History

  • 3rd Kansas Infantry C & A
  • 10th Kansas Infantry C

See full unit history

Jonathan Lupton
Full Unit History

Organized: Summer, 1861
Mustered In: Inf. Not Avail.
Consolidated: March, 1862


Organized: 4/3/62 Paola, KS
Mustered In: Inf. Not Avail.
Mustered Out: 8/30/65 Montgomery, AL
Discharged: 9/20/65 Ft. Leavenworth, KS

Regimental History


  This organization, as numbered, was recruited during the summer of 1861 as part of Sen. James H. Lane's Kansas Brigade. In March, 1862 its unfilled ranks were consolidated with the 4th Kansas Infantry and part of the 5th to form the 10th Kansas Infantry.
    Having never taken the field there are no regimental assignments for this unit.  Also, it is not known if there were any deaths within the ranks from accidents, disease, etc.



  The 10th Kansas Infantry was formed in March, 1862 by the consolidation of the 3rd and 4th Kansas infantry regiments with elements of the 5th. It numbered about 800 officers and men of exceptionally fine physique as most of the physically unfit had been previously culled out.  As such, for the next two years the unit suffered very few deaths from disease and but little sickness

. As soon as it was organized the regiment was marched Ft. Scott, KS.  Not long after four companies moved on an expedition into Indian Territory (Oklahoma) against the notorious Colonel Stand Watie of the 1st Confederate Cherokee regiment. As the only infantry company to accompany the expedition, the troops had to march thirty miles per day to keep up with the cavalry and artillery. This was the first active service for the 10th.

Returning to Ft. Scott in August, the regiment then marched into Missouri to assist in checking Confederate advances.  During this period it was engaged at the battle of Newtonia, MO where Union forces suffered an initial disastrous repulse, but were, a little later, victorious. It next moved back to the Indian Territory arriving too late to share in the fight at Old Fort Wayne.  It completed 1862 by being engaged in the battles of Cane Hill, Prairie Grove and Van Buren AR.

January, 1863. The 10th formed part of the force sent to the relief of Springfield, MO which was then under siege from Rebel forces under Confed. Gen. Marmaduke.  In March it moved to check enemy cavalry under Gen. Shelby. In April the unit marched to Rolla, MO where it provost (military police) duty until ordered to Indiana to counter Morgan's Rebel raid. Not needed there, it returned to St. Louis, MO and then moved to Kansas City. 

    September, 1863 saw the regiment marching into the Missouri’s Sni Hills in pursuit of the guerilla, Quantrill following his raid on Lawrence, KS. Returning from the unsuccessful pursuit it was stationed at Kansas City until January, 1864. From Kansas City it was moved to Alton, IL via St. Louis, MO to take charge of the military prison located there. In early May, however, it ordered back to St. Louis where it was detailed as provost guard of the city. The regiment was then ordered to Ft. Leavenworth, KS where it was mustered out.  

  August, '64, however, was not the end of the 10th. Veteran volunteers and new recruits were then organized into a four company battalion which saw action at Franklin and Nashville, TN before, in February, 1865 embarking on transports to move down the Mississippi River to New Orleans, LA and then to Mobile, AL where they gloriously took part in the reduction and capture of that city. Final muster and discharge came in August and September, 1865 respectively.

Soldier History

SOLDIER: (3rd)
Springdale, IA    Age: 23.6 yrs.
Enlisted/Enrolled: 7/30/61 Ft. Leavenworth, KS   Rank: Pvt.
Mustered In: 7/30/61 (est.)
Transferred/Consolidated Out: 3/62
Highest Rank: Pvt.


SOLDIER: (10th)
Springdale, IA   Age:  24.2 yrs. (est.)
Transferred/Consolidated In: 3/62
Mustered Out: 8/20/64 Ft. Leavenworth, KS
Highest Rank: Pvt. 

Family History


   Jonathan R. Lupton was born 1/23/38 in the State of Ohio.  According to one source the birthing was in Beloit, Columbiana County.  Most documents, however, point toward Mahoning County. His parents were Martin and Lucina/Lucena (nee Rood b. 1808 CT) Lupton. The U.S. Census for 1840 placed the Martin Lupton family in or near the community of Smith in Mahoning County. In that tally no other individuals are noted as being in the home.   

    1850.  The census for Smith, Mahoning Co., Ohio listed Lucina/Lucena Lupton as being a widow.  In her home at the time was a woman identified only as Emma (b. 1812 OH), another Emma (Rood) (b. 1837 OH) and son Jon. Likely one of the two Emmas was Lucina/Lucena's mother. Perhaps the other was a younger sister of Jon’s. Beyond these notations, nothing further is documented regarding Jonathan's birth family and upbringing.   Was he an "only child?" Years later, at his passing an obituary would note that he was the youngest of three children, but except for the above supposition, there is no hard documental evidence to support this contention.

    The next documented evidence on Jonathan comes from 7/30/61 when, as a resident of Springdale, Iowa, he apparently travelled to Ft. Leavenworth, KS to enlist in the U.S. Army infantry. His vital statistics at that time were as follows: 6'1" or 6'1.5" inches in height, fair complexioned, grey eyes and brown hair.  His occupation was "farmer." In later years he would point out that at the time of his enlistment his health was good.

   Private Lupton's three year military enlistment appears to have been highlighted by bouts of typhoid fever. He would later indicate the first came in July, 1862 and lasted six weeks.  This appears to be correct as the first service record entry, beyond being present for duty, comes from May/June, 1862 when he was listed on 6/30 as being "absent sick." Hospitalization at the time may have been in the U.S.A. General Hospital Mapleton, Kansas. Returned to duty by August, on October 7th of that same year he was sent to Kansas City, Missouri on some unspecified detached service. Interestingly, from that absence would come some sort of unspecified financial/pay stoppage.

  In later years Private Lupton and one of his war time comrades would claim his second sickness came during the summer/fall of 1863 during and after an expedition to the Cherokee Nation (Oklahoma) and south Missouri. At that time he was hospitalized at Mapleton, Kansas. Military service records, however, indicate that the illness occurred on June 21, 1864 and resulted in his hospitalization at Ft. Scott, Kansas for “complete debilities also typhoid.” On this occasion he was returned to duty on August 5th. Final muster came shortly thereafter on 8/20/64.

 According to one document, after separating from the military Jonathan returned to Ohio and resided in Mahoning Co. for a time.  In another, however, he claims he first settled in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania where he farmed for a time before journeying to the Buckeye State.

 Whatever the specifics of his post-service residential locales, it was in Bridgewater, Bearer Co., PA that, on 10/3/65, Mr. Lupton married Mary Jane "Martha" McKee (b.1842, PA). The couple's first child, daughter Clara, was born in The Keystone State on November 16th of the following year.

 After Clara's birth did the Lupton's remove from PA to OH? The evidence here is unclear, but Jonathan would later note that in 1868 the family departed Ohio for PA. It was in the latter state on September 24, 1868 that he and Martha's second daughter, Ida M., came into the world.

  The census for 1870 found Jon/John, Martha, Clara and Ida residing in Allegheny, Allegheny Co., PA. Thereafter daughter Letty A. was born, while the Lupton's final child, daughter Estella "Stella" R. was birthed in Pennsylvania on 10/1/78. Then came tragedy as Martha Lupton died on July 10th or the 11th of the following year. Whether or not it was childbirth-related is not known. Suddenly Jon Lupton was a widower with four young daughters, one a mere babe in arms.

  While Jon and his two older daughters are not found in the 1880 census, Stella's whereabouts are documented.  At "age 1" she was residing with Jon's mother in Springdale, Cedar Co., IA. As for Jon, he was likely still in Pennsylvania as, later, he would note that in (circa) 1881 he moved from the Keystone state to Guthrie County, Iowa  

 1885 found John, Clara and Ida in Guthrie, Iowa. Also in the home was one Lucina Nepdegraff aged 76. It is unclear if this is Jon's mother, but likely it was not as there is no indication of Stella also being in the home and it is documented that she was still living as of that year.

 Although the “why” is not known, as best as can be determined, sometime after 1885 and before 1889 Jon moved from Iowa to  Potter, Cheyenne County, Nebraska. It was during the early to mid months of the latter year the former Civil War soldier began the paperwork process to obtain a U.S. Government disability pension based on ailments such as sciatica/rheumatism, piles (hemorrhoids), deafness and kidney troubles which traced back to his bouts of typhoid fever while in the service. During the intervening years these ailments had restricted his ability to perform manual labor as a farmer, messenger clerk and carpenter, to the degree of reportedly confining him to his house for nearly two years and being able to perform a half day’s labor when not so confined.  While no dollar amount is given a monthly pension stipend was granted in December, 1890 on the basis of the piles and kidney affliction.

 1891. By December of that year Jon had quitted Nebraska for Cheyenne, Laramie Co., Wyoming. Before leaving Nebraska he may, for a time, have resided in that state’s Butte County, but documentation on this possibility is inconclusive.  Again, why he had left one state for another is not documented. Further, how long he remained there is not known. While he was definitely there in February of 1893 was he still there in 1896 when daughter Letty died?  We don’t know. Finally, where he was living at the time the decade of the ‘90s came to an end is not known as his whereabouts were not noted in the 1900 census.

 Jon‘s next sighting comes from June of 1902. At that time he was residing in Marion (Branch Center), Grant County, Indiana in a National Military home. Prior to as well as after 1902 he attempted to obtain an increase in his pension stipend based on his alleged deafness. While these petitions were rejected in 1901 and 1904, as of January 27, 1908, for whatever reason, the payment was increased to $15 per month. Again, in May, 1917 while still at the Indiana Soldiers’ Home it was upped to $25. And, further, on 7/11/18 it jumped to $30 per month.

 The U.S. census for 1920 found Jonathan not in Indiana, but living in Avery, Hancock Co., Iowa with married daughter Estella and her husband Christopher Deiger. By 1929, however, he had moved westward to Snohomish County, Washington. It was there in the Milton area near the community of Monroe the 1930 census located him in the home of daughter Ida M. and her husband Carlton Knott. While it is not documented, likely the move had been made because Estella had died. Then past 90 years of age, a pension increase to $72 per month had been requested because of his failing eyesight and physical decreptation which necessitated him receiving “regular care and attention because he was not safe to be alone anymore” Whether or not the request was granted is not known.

Jonathan R. Lupton died on 11/24/31 in Monroe, WA of hypostatic pneumonia and senility. At passing he was aged 93.10 years.  As a farmer, laborer and self-employed individual the old soldier had reportedly last worked in 1928. Burial was in Monroe’s I.O.O.F. Cemetery.

 Two obituaries exist for Jonathan.  The first, unaccredited and undated:

 End came to a long and adventure-filled career Wednesday morning when J.R. “Dad” (John R.) 94 died at the home of a daughter Mrs. Ida M. Knott, near Monroe.  The last public appearance of Mr. Lupton was at the Y.M.C.A. last month then he aged Civil war veteran attended the Roosevelt dinner with the remaining few of his war comrades as guests of honor of the Spanish American War veterans.  Mr. Lupton was born in Mahoning County, Ohio January 23, 1838.  He was the youngest of a family of three children and had the misfortune to lose his father at the age of 8 years.  He was sent to live (with) a school master uncle in Iowa.  When 12 years old he left his home, beginning his career as a harvest hand.  Afraid of being found by his Uncle, Lupton camped out each night in the harvest fields.  On one of these nights he had to battle away wolves and coyotes attached to his frail shelter by the odor of food.  In 1863 he was married in Ohio where he operated a grist mill.  Three months following his marriage the mill burned. Mr. Lupton built anew and (operated) the mill until the family moved to Pittsburg.  There he engaged in the sawmill business.  He also ran a hotel and was engaged in the retail and wholesale grocery business.  Following the death of his wife, Lupton took his four children, the youngest of whom was but nine months old and moved west.  He settled in Western Nebraska and later moved to Wyoming and then to California.  From this point he came to Puget Sound.  Mr. Lupton served with the Union forces in the Civil war and was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. He also saw service in the frontier wars against the Indians.  For a number of years Mr. Lupton was doorman at the Everett Elks’ lodge.  He left his post a short time ago to spend his remaining years with his daughter at Monroe. Services are expected to be held for Mr. Lupton at the Everett Elks’ lodge Sunday afternoon.  The Rev. Robert Allen will officiate. C.L. Barlow, Ray Green, C. Newell, Robert Stretch, Morris Reardon, George Williams, Fred Thedinga, Mr. Bennis and Mr. Byron, all of Monroe, will be pallbearers.  E.E. Purdy and Sons of Monroe are in charge of the services Mr. Lupton is survived by two daughters; Mrs. Knott of Wagner district and Mrs. Clara H. Sugort, Chicago; six grandchildren and ten great grandchildren.

 The second, from the Everett, WA Daily Herald dated 12/4/31 reads, with some updating, as follows:

 Jonathan R. Lupton, a resident of Snohomish County for the past 19 years, died late Tuesday evening, Nov. 24, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. C.J. Knott.  The deceased was born of sturdy Quaker stock in Ohio January 23, 1838, was at the time of his death 93 years and 10 months old, and up to three weeks before his death he walked actively about the streets when in town greeting his friends.  When a lad of 15 years he moved to IA with his mother and in 1861 he enlisted in the Civil War, was sent with others to fill out the 10th KS Infantry.  He saw active service in several decisive battles, was honorably discharged at the close of the war and in 1865 he was married to Martha McKee at McKeesport, PA. She passed away July, 1879, leaving four little daughters to the father’s care.  How well he filled his duty is attested by the splendid daughters who survive, Mrs. J.C. Knott and Mrs. Clara B. Shugart of Chicago, IL. Mr. Lupton was past commander of the G.A.R. and a member of the Elk’s lodge and was for many years a familiar figure at the Elk’s Home in Everett, where he was door keeper.  The funeral services were held in the Elk’s home in Everett on Sunday afternoon, where Rev. Robert H. Allen of he M.E. church of this city had charge of the service.  The members of the G.A.R. and Elks lodge taking part.   The music was beautiful and furnished by friends from Everett.  The funeral cortege returned to Monroe and the remains of this grand old man were laid to rest in the I.O.O.F. Cemetery.

 Following her father’s passing daughter Ida sought U.S. Government monies from his last accrued pension funds to help pay for Jon’s final sickness and burial expenses.  It is not known if the request was granted. 


Buried at IOOF Cemetery Monroe
Row: Old Section
Site: E53

Adopt-a-Vet Sponsor

Karyn Zielasko Weingarden
Snohomish, WA

©2022 Civil War Veterans Buried In Washington State • All Rights Reserved.