Delphi Road SW
Olympia, Thurston County, Washington 98512
McLane Cemetery, also known as Mud Bay Cemetery, lies on the crest of a small hill overlooking the McLane Valley and McLane Creek. The plot is bounded on the north by US Highway 101 and on the west by Delphi Road SW.
Early settlers William and Martha McLane allowed burials on this part of their original claim as early as the 1850s. In 1883 they transferred ownership of the cemetery to the adjoining McLane School and specified McLane Cemetery should remain "free to all without reference to color or creed." The cemetery was most used from the 1860s to the 1910s, mainly by families who lived nearby. After the Indian Shaker Church was established at Mud Bay in the late 1800s, some of their members were buried in the cemetery as well.
In 1968 the Olympia District deeded the cemetery back to the heirs of the original grantor.
©2022 Civil War Veterans Buried In Washington State • All Rights Reserved.