Cheney, Spokane County, Washington
Located about one half mile west of Cheney on Salnave Road at the edge of the west city limits.
In 1880 the town site of Cheney was surveyed and a new city created. In this same year at a meeting held by the citizens of what was to be Cheney selected a site for a "burying ground."
They selected 10 acres on the SE¼ of Sec 14, a mile west of town.
Another meeting in January of 1881 organized a Cemetery Association. They selected the name Fairview Cemetery, for the 10 acres purchased from Thomas J. McFerron. It was not dedicated until Dec 24, 1914.
It is on a rather steep hillside, consisting of about 6 acres, with a nearly 2 acre addition to the west adjoining Sec 5 and 6. Somehow, without the cemetery knowing, a builder purchased 3 plus acres from the city to build houses, resulting in the Association purchasing these 2 acres in 1988 from the Cheney Dome Corporation.
Since the late 1940s the city has had no interest in Fairview and it remained unkept for many years.
©2022 Civil War Veterans Buried In Washington State • All Rights Reserved.