1405 S 24th Ave.
Yakima, Yakima County, WA 98902
In June of 1903 ten acres of land was purchased for a Catholic cemetery in Yakima, Washington. Father Conrad Brusten blessed the ground and officially opened the cemetery and it was given the name Calvary. In 1951 Bishop Joseph P. Dougherty, the first Bishop of the Diocese of Yakima, dedicated the outdoor altar built entirely by Catholic War Veteran volunteers. The memorial is a raised tiled platform with a brick arch protecting an outdoor altar where Mass is celebrated each Memorial Day. The memorial honors all veterans who died defending our country. In 1962 Bishop Dougherty set aside a portion of land in the cemetery as a burial plot for priests. In 1966 the present office building and shop were built. Jack and Bessie Kramer, who now rest in its ground, managed the cemetery for 36 years and retired in 1978.
©2021 Civil War Veterans Buried In Washington State • All Rights Reserved.